When you think of the Kentucky Derby or the Del Mar Races, the image of a large glamorous hat will likely come to mind. We’re going to take you back in time a little and give you a brief history of racing fashion and why we still love the look today.
In the early 1900s, horse racing was the sport of the elite and affluent. With high bids on the table, the spectators took an opportunity to showcase their wealth and status through couture fashion. At the time, hats were fading out of mainstream fashion. This only made wearing a fabulous hat more iconic and exclusive. Despite the fluctuation of trends, hats continued to be a mainstay for derbys.
In addition to being an opportunity to display their place in society, women and men found that wearing hats at such public events gave them the chance to show off individuality and carefully thought-out personal style. The Derby became an exhibition of fashionistas, both classic and cutting edge.
Today we see an array of derby hats from home-made wild concoctions to über chic and classic wide-brimmed hats. Contests are held every year at Del Mar to establish a hierarchy among the various designs. The 2011 winner certainly created an unconventional design that set her apart from the rest.
2011 Del Mar Hat Contest Winner
At Recycled Rags, we carry a plethora of different hat styles in different colors. From royal wedding worthy fascinators to big wide-brimmed hats and everything in between. We showcase some of the top hat designers in the nation, including Arturo Rios, Christine A. Moore Millinery New York, and Louise Green just to name a few. Below is a small sampling of some of the hats currently available. For more fab hat ideas visit us at www.recycledrags.com and on facebook at facebook.com/recycledragsoc.
Be bold, be fabulous and let your personal style out with an amazing hat!!
Click on the link to read today’s post!
Life is Short, Wear Color!
Simply click on the link to see today’s post!
The Top Ten Reasons to Shop Consignment
- Recycled Rags is named Recycled Rags for a reason! It’s eco-friendly~ Hundreds of thousands of garments are tossed each year from major retailers adding to our ever-growing landfills. Nothing gets tossed here! If an item doesn’t sell it’s either returned to the consignor or donated to a worthy cause!
- Great Deals~ Recycled Rags offers new or gently used authentic designer clothing and handbags for a fraction of the original cost! Shop sale prices all day, every day.
- Personalized Service~ Our dedicated and experienced staff is there to help you personalize your look every step of the way! With In-Store Stylists, some with over 20 years experience, you’ll get honest advice on how to style a look from head to toe. It’s like shopping with best friends!
- Unique Finds~ Since we have thousands of consignors, Recycled Rags acquires incredible items and rare finds from the world’s best dressed people.
- We’re seasonal! ~ When it’s still warm out at the end of Summer, we’ll be selling Summer items while other retailers will be trying to sell you fall and winter clothes. Our inventory changes with the weather, so you’ll get the right items at the right time.
- Higher Quality for Less Money~ Shopping consignment is a great value wherever you go, but Recycled Rags specializes in Designer Apparel, which means amazing deals on top designers, which rarely or never get marked down in their regular retail shops (i.e. Chanel and Louis Vuitton).
- We’re open 7 Days a week and most holidays~ And when our shop isn’t open, you can shop from our website (www.recycledrags.com) or even from your cell phone on our mobile website (www.recycledrags.com/mobile) !
- It’s Convenient~ Instead of running around the mall to find all of your favorite designers, make one stop instead. We have dozens of designer labels under one roof!
- Our inventory changes daily~ We are constantly circulating our inventory. You can shop here every single day and find something new! There aren’t many stores that can say that!
- You’re supporting local business~ Recycled Rags has been an active part of the Corona del Mar community for over 40 years. We take pride in our shop and care about our customers and our community. Without you, there would be no Recycled Rags!
Think of more reasons? Share them with us on facebook!
*Check back tomorrow for our first Wedding Wednesday post-We’ll take you step by step on how to get the perfect wedding look!!
Thanks for reading!
The Recycled Rags Family
Thanks for visiting our new blog! We have some exciting new things happening at Recycled Rags- We just launched our new website, a new mobile site, our facebook, twitter and of course this blog! Our goal is to make Recycled Rags accessible to anyone, anywhere, at anytime.
Our amazing shop has been open for 42 years! We are a luxury consignment shop that carries only the very best designer brands. All of our items are also guaranteed to be authentic. Recycled Rags provides a unique shopping experience- we have in store stylists available for honest fashion advice every day! We are also one of the only consignment shops in the OC that caters to Men as well! We are a dedicated group of fashion savvy women here to help you dress fabulously for any event or to revamp your everyday wardrobe.
Keep checking in for new posts! Find out The Top Ten Reasons to Shop Consignment on tomorrow’s post!!
Have a fabulous day!
The Recycled Rags Family